Sunday, 29 December 2013

Start Me Up

While I knew setting up a professional Author's blog would be a lot of work, however I didn't expect it to fill me with the urge to rip my hair out, but then again I'm dealing with Wordpress so should be expected, I brought it upon myself really. I keep being told that a Wordpress blog is so much better than a Blogger one is, that it's so much easier for setting up widgets and for readers to access. Well, I call bull-shit on that one. However, it is possible that the problem is that either I'm incredibly stupid and/or unlucky or these people are dealing with a different Wordpress.

The reality is that Widgets are extremely difficult and finicky. Ironically when I had to set up a Wordpress 6-page website for my "Introduction to Web-Technology" subject for the Bachelor of Communications, the Twitter widgets were easy to set up and the Facebook widgets were damn near impossible. This time around the Facebook widget was the easiest one to set up and the Twitter one I had to read through the tutorial serveral times to figure out what on Earth I was doing wrong. However, I must confess the current tutorials for how to set up widgets on a Wordpress blog have significantly improved. And that's my biggest problem with Wordpress, you need tutorials on how to set this stuff up. Where as compared to blogger, most of the time you can just cut and paste the html code and BAM! Up and running.

The only social media I have yet to set up and integrate is Youtube and hopefully I shall have an easier time with it. With Blogger,  the embedding process involves copy the html code from Youtube and then paste the Youtube html code in the html code section of the blog post (which is a pain in the arse). With Wordpress, all you have to do is just copy and paste the URL of Youtube video into a blog-post.

Now you might be wondering why I am including Youtube, well according to The Future of Ink, apparently it's vitally important for Authors/Writers these days to making Youtube Videos. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to make Youtube videos about, but I'm going to at least give it a go. I really enjoyed Katytastic's videos, especially her Novel Outlining video (which I used for my NaNoWriMo project and is super helpful), so I might make something like hers. I'm going to try and get this all set up by New Years Eve/January 1st (I know, I know, I'm terrible with organisation and deadlines).

I'll keep plugging away at it and I'll keep you all posted about it. Honestly, I should probably stop procrastinating and get back to fixing it, I have so much work ahead of me. I could really go for a nap right now...

Also, as a unrelated side-note, I write reviews for Weekend Notes and here's my latest articles:
Little Red Pocket Cocktail Bar
How To get to IKEA by Public Transport

No comments:

Post a Comment